Friday 24 April 2015

Ze Tresses - your basic guide!

We all have that one thing we love beyond anything else, something we invest all our energy in, something we are infinitely proud of. In my case, it's my hair! Yes ladies, I am all about ze tresses! And considering I have become a bit of a pro over time in what I call "hair psychology", I decided it was time to put all that information somewhere useful! I mean, a girl can deal with a cheating boy friend, a BFF break up, a broken heel - all with her head held high. But how is she to even hold that head high on a bad hair day? YUP! Those are our apocalypses!

So here is the deal - remember the "Dragon lady"  from Devil wears Prada? The one who never has one hair out of place. EVER! Yea, she is kind of my icon. Basically, whatever look you are going for, it just has to be perfect! Be it a salon-style chic blow dry, straight pixie-cut, girl-next-door tumbling curls or im-too-sexy-for-my-shoes beach waves. The style just has to be flawless - all day, every day! Ambitious, even unreal. I know. But we have enough problems to deal with a on a daily basis and we have no place for frizz! So how do we achieve that?


First you need to understand your hair. I mean YOUR hair. Your hair is as unique as you are. No two people have the same texture, same hair quality, same suitability to products, same style and same preferences. When we broadly classify hair under straight, wavy and curly, it just is not enough! Whether you have dry hair, oily scalp, fine hair, brittle hair, is it treated or virgin, all contribute to defining your hair. This understanding takes a while, most of your adolescent years to be specific. Once you get that understanding, we go from there.


Get this though - there is no one dream solution to achieving that glorious mane the world will envy! If you want to achieve immaculate shampoo-advert kind of hair, merely a new haircut or a pump of expensive serum will not miraculously do it for you! Even Hermoine Granger with a wand at her disposal and a way with magical spells could not achieve diva hair without "Sleekeazy's hair potion"! The magic factor in our world is slightly short of Hogwarts! So the modern day damsel needs way more than one magical potion to transform her world! It has to be a ideal concoction of cut, products, styling and manipulation.When I say your hair is an investment I do not say so lightly - products are only one fraction of your pay check that gets spent on your mane! There are tools, therapies, professional treatments and cuts, none of which come dirt cheap!


Let me lay the foundation with some uber-basic simple facts - 

  • Shampoo washes the dust, grime and oil from your hair
  • Conditioner gives it the essential protection, a semblance of control and the moisture that the shampoo stripped off your hair
  • and YAAY! 10% of the battle is now won!! 
  • Unless you are blessed with the actual hair texture off a glossy magazine cover (I doubt you're a mortal! and why are u even reading this?) you can just not tame your mane without decent products and styling tools
It all comes down to your personal preference in the end. It is a combination of what works for you, what you want from the results and how you choose to go about achieving it. I have waist length, fine, wavy hair. Without bragging I would like to, for once, admit that I do have great hair!! Yea, I'm rather blessed that way. Hence, the acknowledgement of my hair being my best feature and all that I invest in it. My stylists have complained non-stop about all the effort I put in my hair and how I neglect my skin in comparison! But you know how they say "some things are worth melting for"! Or maybe they don't, but our tresses are worth it all! 

By now you must have understood how this whole hair-care affair is a niche, complicated and bloody exhausting process. But despair not, for the right products do half the work for you! SO there are hair products (the ones that come in classy packaging, available in salons, pinch our pockets- seen those?) and then there are over-the-counter products. The latter definitely does not give you results that any self respecting fashionista would be happy with! Of course, if you are someone who would get the simplest, easy maintenance hairstyle in the history of the universe, claim you have no time for any of this mane-drama and intend to keep your hair tied up in a knot or a braid at ALL times, sure those work! (By no measure would these people be divas of our world but hey, they do exist!) But the hair products that work wonders in our lives are those that come from big brands which have put in years of expensive research!


The only other thing more important than quality products is a good hair care regimen. Ladies, a hair care regimen that is tried and tested is what we all need first and foremost in our lives - before boy friends and before backpacking around Europe!! Of course you will need to shake it up once in a while, update your regimen, talk to an expert, try something new. But it will and should work its magic on your hair everyday as long as you follow it.


I am going to go into more detail about choosing the right hair product, maintaining different styles and a basic hair care routine. Follow this space for more on all that!

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment